Work/Life & Benefits

Bicyclist on BridgeThe FAS works to support work/life balance for eligible faculty and researchers. This support includes dual-career assistance; leaves of absence for research, family (including parental), medical, or personal reasons; help in caring for dependents and adult family members; and resources related to health, well-being, and building community. Many other benefits for eligible individuals are listed in the table on this page.

If you have questions, please contact the individuals noted in the table below, or:

  • Visit Harvard's Human Resources portal here, for information about compensation, health and other benefits, financial and legal resources, employment opportunities, professional development opportunities, perquisites, and many other things.

114 Mt. Auburn Street, 4th Floor Cambridge, MA 02138
Call Center: 617-496-4001 (M, T, Th, F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; W, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.)
Walk-in: M-Th, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Closed Fridays
Fax: 617-496-3000

Harvard's Office of Work/Life provides eligible Harvard employees with information on planning senior care and resources for short-term and longer-term care.

To learn more about dual-career assistance for partners of tenure-track and senior faculty, please visit this page.

You may also contact:

For senior faculty:
Laura Fisher
Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Development

For tenure-track faculty:
Zoe Fonseca-Kelly
Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs



Below are a few resources that support the health and wellness of FAS faculty and researchers. Information on health benefits is available at Harvard's Human Resources portal.

Below are a few of the many paths to building community at Harvard.

Harvard offers many resources to support parents. For more information on these resources and on how to apply for dependent care funds, please see below.

Resources for Parents

For information on childcare and other resources for faculty parents, please see the "Childcare" website of the Office of the Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity. In addition, Harvard's "Childcare @ Harvard" website for employees offers ample information on topics such as: Finding Child-Care; Backup Care, Babysitters; Schools & After-School Programs; Camps & School Vacation Options; Financial Assistance for Childcare; Adoption Resources; Parenting Supports, and Lactation Supports.

Dependent Care Funds

Application for Dependent Care Funds

Dependent Care Funds (DCFs) provide financial assistance to scholars who must travel for a professional event or research program to advance their academic careers and who have dependent-care obligations that might otherwise impede such travel. For example, DCF grants may be used to defray the costs of transporting a dependent and/or professional caregiver to a conference location or research site, hiring supplemental dependent care at home while traveling, or arranging for on-site care at a meeting.

There are two Dependent Care Funds for which FAS tenure-track faculty are eligible, and these offer a combined total of up to $2,000 per year in possible funding. DCF awards may also be used in conjunction with the existing benefit offered through the Care@Work Backup Care program, which has services in many U.S. cities and abroad. (For more information on this and other work/life resources, please visit the Work/Life section of Harvard's Human Resources portal.)

To apply to either fund, please submit the above application. The assistant dean for your division or School will review your request and process your application for the FAS DCF first. Once the resources available through the FAS DCF are exhausted, you may apply for FD&D DCF funds. The assistant dean for your division or School will forward your application to FD&D for consideration and processing of the FD&D DCF award. (Since the FD&D DCF also covers elder care, please apply directly to FD&D for reimbursement of those costs - see below). Forms and receipts may be submitted before the event or up to 60 days after the event takes place. The assistant dean for your division or School can answer any questions you may have on which costs are reimbursable.

  • The FAS Dependent Care Fund:

FAS tenure-track faculty should first apply to the FAS Dependent Care Fund, which provides assistance with childcare obligations and has a $1,000 funding cap per scholar, per academic year. Applicants may submit more than one request and receive more than one grant within a given academic year, up to the next funding of $1,000 (after required tax withholding) per academic year. Payment will be made as additional compensation through the regular payroll and is considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. The FAS Fund accepts rolling applications throughout the year.

  •  The FD&D Dependent Care Fund:

The University-wide Dependent Care Fund (FD&D DCF) provides funding to help with caregiving costs for dependent children or adults during short-term professional travel for Harvard ladder faculty (tenured and tenure-track).

Once an FAS tenure-track faculty member has exhausted the resources available through the FAS DCF, additional funding may be available from the Office of the Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity (FD&D), which offers a Dependent Care Fund to assist scholars with child care and/or adult dependent care obligations. Eligible faculty members may apply for one FD&D DCF grant within a given academic year, up to a maximum of $1,000 per year. FD&D DCF applications are accepted on a rolling basis.

The deadline for submitting an application to the FD&D fund is June 15 of any year for professional travel that occurred in the same academic year. For example, if your travel was between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022, then the deadline would be June 15, 2022.

  • For More Information:

For more information on the FAS DCF, please contact the assistant dean for faculty affairs in your division or the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. For more information on the FD&D DCF, please visit or contact Natalie Beaumont-Smith in the Office of Work/Life: (617) 495-5933,

Nanny Placement Services

Harvard has resources for nanny placement services and a nanny payment service. There is also a one-time grant of $6,000 to help FAS tenure-track faculty defray the costs of nanny placement services. Please contact the assistant dean for faculty affairs in your division or the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences for more information.

If considering a leave, faculty should contact the assistant dean for faculty affairs in their academic division (the Arts and Humanities, the Social Sciences, Science) or in the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Your assistant dean can answer any questions, talk through options, and provide support throughout the process.

Several types of leave are available to eligible FAS faculty. FAS faculty can take short term-time absences if necessary. Eligible faculty can also take leaves for research purposes, for family (including parental) or medical reasons, for personal reasons, or for public service. Depending on the circumstances, leaves may be paid or unpaid, and not all faculty are eligible for every kind of leave.

For more information on leaves, please see Chapter 3 in the FAS Appointment and Promotion Handbook. This includes leave policies for new parents, effective January 1, 2021, consistent with the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave policy (MAPFML) and Harvard University and FAS policies that are in keeping with MAPFML. You may also contact your assistant dean for faculty affairs with questions or to discuss your options.

Other benefits are listed below. Eligibility varies for each benefit. Please consult with the Harvard Benefits Office, for more information.